Thursday, October 28, 2004

WAITING

But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint. lsaiah 40:31 RSV

I’ve been learning a lot about waiting. I don't like to wait and I don't wait very well. I'm the guy who is always looking at his watch if anything is behind schedule. I can lose my temper faster by someone "making me late" over almost any other thing. I will probably even go and vote early to avoid waiting in lines on November 2nd.

But what I've been learning, and learning for a while now, by the way, is that slowing down offers us luxuries that our fast paced lives cannot offer us. I have a love / hate relationship with my Palm Pilot. Right now I "hate" it because the screen is busted, but there are times that I cling to the schedule displayed on that screen more than I should. It takes a concerted effort to put God and my family first in my life and in my schedule. It is not something that just comes easy because I am in the ministry. Sometimes, I wonder if being in the ministry makes spending time with God harder.

When I slow down, I enjoy playing with my daughters and doing crazy, unnecessary, fun things that will create memories to last a lifetime. When I slow down, I remember how blessed I am to have Deanna in my life; I fall upon the reasons that I fell in love with her and I fall in love with her again. When I really take time to slow down and wait... I find myself face to face with my Creator and find that He has been doing a lot of waiting on me, too. He talks to me, He tells me secrets of the hearts, and fills my life with purpose.

God help me today, to slow down. And even though this may seem contradictory, Lord, I think You and I know the wisdom of Palm Pilots. Can You "heal" mine, please? Thank you! Amen.


GOING DEEPER:

What's the message in Psalm 27:14?
I think it is very interesting that it reads, "Wait..." and then says, "...be strong and let your heart take courage". This implies that being strong is in letting go of yourself and letting your "heart" be the strength in your times of waiting.

PSALM OF PRAISE: I waited patiently for the LORD's help; then He listened to me and heard my cry. He pulled me out of a dangerous pit, out of the deadly quicksand. He set me safely on a rock and made me secure. He taught me to sing a new song, a song of praise to our God. Many who see this will take warning and will put their trust in the LORD. Psalm 40:1-3

No comments: